Yahoo urges marketers to spend more time with mobile apps following survey findings | M&M Global

Yahoo urges marketers to spend more time with mobile apps following survey findings

We spend, on average three hours and 40 minutes on mobile devices every day, according to research by Yahoo. Some 90% of that time is in apps and the remaining 10% is in the mobile web. 


Lisa Utzschneider, Yahoo’s global revenue chief, imparted the statistics to Dmexco delegates during a debate on The Content Revolution, which also featured Mark Read from Wunderman and Jim Stengel from The Jim Stengel Company.

Utzschneider also told delegates that 71% of us even sleep with our smartphones.

She said: “At Yahoo, we are a mobile first company and we are doing lots of great work to connect with this active mobile consumer, especially in apps. On average, we are seeing a three-times lift in performance for native advertising, which is a combination of direct response advertisers and brands who want to tell impactful stories.

“Marketers aren’t spending enough time in mobile app marketing. They need to think harder about how to tell their impactful stories and get a return for their content because consumers are living in their smart phone apps.”

Utzschneider went on to discuss the Yahoo-owned social platform Tumblr and how it’s used by brands for authentic content that connects with a millennial audience.

Clinique’s #FaceForward Tumblr-first campaign features user-generated videos of women aged 18-24, discussing what they would say to themselves from the future.

“Tumblr is a creative canvas where brands can connect with millennials but only if they focus on rich and contextual content experiences. Clinique tracked a 59% lift in intent to purchase and gained a 30% lift in earned media as a result of the #FaceForward campaign,” concluded Utzschneider.

Mike Fletcher


No Comments Yet

Leave a Reply